Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The ParaMatriDox

Okay so I'm sure all of you have seen The Matrix. I'm talking about the first one, not the other two poor excuses that were supposed to be considered a sequel. Now you all know how Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) gives Neo (Keanu Reeves, duh) the choice of choosing reality (escaping from the fabricated world that is "The Matrix") or staying in the Matrix by taking either the red or blue pill. Of course, the movie wouldn't be a movie had he taken the blue pill. So our prophecied chosen one swallowed the red pill, thus plunging him into the harsh reality where mechanic organisms harvest humans for energy and a rebel society plots a massive battle against their robotic enemies in order to take back their beloved planet (or world or whatever).

When Neo takes the red pill he is now awaken in the "real world", where he finds himself in a gooey sperm filled pod that is attached to one of hundreds of towers holding other pods (also filled with humans). He looks around him and then a Machine comes and checks him out, sees that he's Keanu and probably realizes that it doesn't like his movies, and flushes him. Then as Neo's floating around in a sewer somewhere (I didn't know robots can produce excrement), the crew of the Nebukadnezar pick him up and start training him. Here's the question:

Why does he get released by the Machines?

According to the storyline, humans get freed all the time, going through the same experience as Neo did when he got flushed down the toilet. It happened to the whole crew of the Nebukadnezar. So when they get "freed", WHY do they get freed? Ya get what I mean? Imagine this: you're my friend and you're in prison. I wanna get you out but I can't because obviously I hate the guards and they hate me (and the guards also hate the human prisoners). So all of a sudden, the guard just lets you (my friend) out of his cell and flushes you down the toilet and then I just happen to be standing outside of the prison walls waiting for you. Why the hell didn't the guard just kill you (my friend) instead of letting you out for no damn good reason??? I mean obviously there's a war going on between the Machines and the humans, so what the hell?!
This was bothering me all last night as I was watching The Matrix on HBO (and in HD thanks to my new Sony Bravia, suh-weet). I just hate little things like that that get by in movies. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way a dominMatrix who gets a huge boner over the movies, but I just thought I would pose this question. If anybody has any good insight as to WHY the damn Machines let Neo out of their posession, then please, do tell.

5 comments:

Eric Shonkwiler said...

The freed humans are .01% of their energy intake, and once awake, I imagine, a human would have a hard time being plugged back in and made docile. They'd either die immediately in the Matrix or become lunatics, maybe causing more trouble. So why waste the time to pluck them from the sewer and hose them off?

Big McLargehuge said...

Right! BUT! If the machines realize (assuming they realize) that humans are being "freed" wouldn't you think the machines would just kill any human that seems to be awake? I mean, how much energy does a bullet to the head take? That being said, the whole Matrix trilogy wouldn't have been possible if a machine would've just simply shot Neo in the face once they realized Neo was of no use to them.

Eric Shonkwiler said...

I think that's what they do in essence when a human gets flushed: they're killed, as far as the machines are concerned.

Doesn't a machine come up to Neo when he wakes up? I can't remember. I think one does, and flies off again, right? Or notifies the plunger? So they're apathetic towards "freed" humans. Not seen as a threat, considered dead when flushed. Even rescued, not a concern.

Big McLargehuge said...

Yeah, a robot does come and check him out when he's awake. Oh well, the question will continue to live on unless you're friends with the Wachowski Bros and they tell you the answer. Haha

Eric Shonkwiler said...

I heard one is actually a sister now. I can't remember where I heard that. And Google is so far away...